Do you journal? I do, although not as consistently as I would like.
Recently, I took some time to look back on my journal entries from last year to see where I was and how far I’ve come in certain areas. I stumbled across this entry where I was writing out my thoughts and what I knew about seasonal living during winter. As the days grow colder and we transition from autumn to winter, I thought I’d share a bit of this with you today.
The Winter Season
Winter is a season for rest, renewal, and regeneration. It’s a time to slow down—to grow our roots deeper into the things that nourish us as this will sustain us through the coming year.
This season is associated with the water element, the fetus, and the midnight to early morning hours, and during this season I like to focus on making space in my schedule for the unexpected, journaling more, spending time with close friends and family, taking little moments for self-care, and other things of that nature.
It’s the perfect time to slow down, pull inward, and focus on yourself for a bit. It can definitely be hard during the busy holiday season, but it is so worth it.
If you’re feeling stressed, overwhelmed, stuck, exhausted, hopeless, or fearful—take some time to seek balance in your life during the coming season. Here are several things you can try.
- Create space in your schedule for nothing. You can fill that time with things that bring you pleasure.
- Start a journal where you can write down what’s happening in your life, how you’re feeling or what you think about a certain situation, or all the thoughts you’re thinking at the moment.
- Focus on rest. Try getting one more hour of sleep each night. Put your phone to bed earlier. Delegate a few tasks to others.
- Identify your priorities and think about the things you want to spend your energy on.
- Stop focusing on the past. Take note of where you are right now in your life and move forward from there. What is one change you want to make in your life in the coming year? Brainstorm a plan to make it happen.
For more information on natural, seasonal living, be sure to sign up to receive my Lunar Letters so you’re always in the loop when it comes to living a simple, seasonal, natural lifestyle!