And while 40 days of a drastic diet change may sound daunting, it’s actually something I look forward to each year. It’s sort of like a seasonal reset or a gentle spring cleanse for my body.
Changing my diet around to cut out foods that require more effort to digest and transitioning my supportive winter herbal preparations out for some supportive spring herbal preparations are all great ways to go about supporting my health in the spring season.
Because vegan meals are so different than the meals I typically eat, it can be a struggle to find things I like. Thankfully there are a lot of great resources out there that make it a bit easier.
I’m loving the recipes over on Minimalist Baker, and my go-to vegan cookbook is The Plantiful Table by one of my favorite bloggers, Andrea Duclos. It also helps that this isn’t my first time going vegan, so I have a little experience knowing what I like and don’t like.
With that said, I thought I’d share a new favorite breakfast meal with you here today. This was inspired by the “things on toast” section in Drea’s cookbook as well as what was available in my fridge! LOL!
I call it an open-faced ALT (avocado, lettuce, & tomato) breakfast toast! It’s super easy to make, oh so tasty to eat, and a perfect breakfast recipe for spring. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it whether you’re vegan or not!
Avocado, Lettuce, & Tomato Breakfast Toast
- 1 slice of whole-grain, sprouted bread (sourdough is great too)
- 1/2 of a ripe avocado
- Garlic powder to taste
- 2 slices of tomato, 1/2 inch thick
- Organic spring mix lettuce
- Balsamic glaze
- Toast your bread on a griddle or in a pan on the stovetop and set it aside. Next, warm the tomato slices on the griddle or pan until they are soft and fragrant. Feel free to add a wee bit of olive oil to these if you’d like.
- While the tomatoes are heating, cut your avocado in half. Put the half with the pit back in the fridge. Using a fork, scrape the inside of the remaining avocado half out onto your toast and mash it so that it covers the entire piece of toast. Generously sprinkle this with garlic powder.
- Next, place your warmed tomato slices on top of the avocado, top with organic spring mix, and drizzle with some balsamic glaze.
- Enjoy 1-2 pieces for breakfast alongside a yummy breakfast smoothie of your choosing!
Love + light,